Swaying is a special painful condition that occurs in some people when rolling on a ship or plane, as well as when driving in road and rail transport, mainly due to the impact on the body of mechanical stimuli associated with the movements of a ship, aircraft, car, etc. We will talk about the most unpleasant – sea sickness.
To develop this state can each person with prolonged exposure to an unfavorable factor and a weakened physical condition, with problems with the psyche. The most severe forms of sea sickness occur in movements of the ship. They are caused by the prolonged impact of rolling. In a plane a person is not for a long time as well as in motor transport, so the phenomena of this sickness in them are expressed less intensively and quickly go away. But multi-day or week-long movements on the ship can have a detrimental effect on human health. Emerging variables of acceleration in different planes, with sea and oceanic rolling, closed space, high temperature of the atmosphere, high humidity, stuffiness and fear of illness, aggravate the flow of sea sickness.
People of a younger age are more likely to have sea sickness than middle and old age. A tendency for it is experienced by about 70% of people aged 18 to 25 years. This illness occurs mainly because of discrepancies in visual perception of sensations. That is, if you are on deck and see the wave to which you are now being thrown or with which you are going to drop, the probability that you are shaken is lower. It is very important to get enough sleep - fatigue increases seasickness. All the manifestations appear in the form of an attack associated in the sea and other forms of transport:
• Nausea: vomiting can be extremely severe;
• Sweating: the skin becomes covered with a cold sweat;
• Pallor of the skin;
• Unpleasant sensations in the body: a feeling of faintness, discomfort;
• Loss of appetite.
Only 1.5% of people are completely free of sea sickness, but 5% of those who cannot at all enjoy the joy of sea and air travel, that is, they are not able to adapt to pitching at all. In addition to sea cruises, the characteristic symptoms of nausea, vomiting and dizziness can cause trips by road or rail, as well as air travel. The sea sickness cause is the conflict between the signals entering the brain. Vestibular apparatus, responsible for determining the position of the body in space, transmits information about movement, and eyes that look at fixed objects, say the opposite. Such a contradiction causes unpleasant symptoms. In most people, sometime after the beginning of the journey, the symptoms of seasickness pass, and all the remaining time on board the ship or airplane they feel normal. If nevertheless the illness has appeared, it is possible to accept classical sea sickness tablets, such as Dramamine and even antihistamines. The action of modern drugs from motion sickness is reduced to suppressing the information "confusing" the brain, speeding up the adaptation processes or removing the vegetative symptoms - nausea and dizziness.
During an attack it is necessary:
• To be distracted from unpleasant sensations;
• Avoid sharp and unpleasant odors (for example: tobacco smoke, cologne);
• Try to fix a glance at something motionless;
• Take a pill of the drug, which reduces symptoms (antiemetic, anticholinergic agent).
• The problem does not at all mean that you will have to abandon travel for ever in the water. The following recommendations will help to get rid of seasickness or minimize its manifestations.
• Drink water. If a child or an adult gets sick and tears when the ship moves, a good remedy for sea sickness is water with lemon, simple drinking water or another drink that should be drunk in small sips. This will help fill the loss of fluid and suppress the feeling of nausea.
• Limit the visual activity. Symptoms of sea sickness are more pronounced when the eyes are open: this is due to the fact that during the movement the "picture" is continuously changing and the brain receives an excess of visual information.
• Maintain a special diet. Do not overeat, but it is not recommended to go swimming on an empty stomach. If you feel nauseous when driving on different modes of transport, adherence to this recommendation will minimize the manifestations.
• Take a certain position and choose a passenger seat. Try to take a place or cabin in the middle of the ship. To avoid sea sickness, it is recommended not to sit against the movement of the ship.
• Provide fresh air. It should be remembered that the disease develops less frequently and is easier to carry outdoors when it is possible to observe the horizon line and the surrounding water surface.
The peculiarity of this illness lies in the fact that you will know about it only in water. Being on land a person can never find out that he is subject to this disease. To cure sea sickness is impossible but it is preventable.